Sharon Fisher | Episode 022The Homeschooling Grandparent
In this heartfelt conversation, Zan and Sharon Fisher—a working grandmother who homeschools her granddaughter—discuss practical ways grandparents can help with homeschooling and support their kids and grandkids in the homeschool adventure. You’ll be inspired as Sharon and Zan examine the importance of a biblical worldview in education and in life. Their conversation concludes with a helpful overview of the way a biblical worldview is woven throughout and shapes BJU Press Homeschool curriculum.
About the guest
Sharon Fisher is a wife, mother, and grandmother who is passionate about encouraging homeschool parents and Christian educators to teach children with excellence and a biblical worldview. She holds a B.S. and an M.A. in Elementary Education. She has many years of full-time teaching experience in the elementary classroom and served as an elementary author for BJU Press Homeschool. She has contributed to a variety of elementary educational materials and has presented workshops both nationally and internationally on a variety of topics and teaching methods. She serves as Social Media Coordinator, Workshop Speaker and Coordinator, Blog Writer, and Curriculum Specialist for HomeWorks by Precept, a provider of excellent homeschool materials.
Things you'll learn from this episode
- Grandparents have a wide variety of opportunities to support their kids and grandkids in the homeschool journey. As a homeschooling grandparent, Sharon shares tips on having open, honest communication and helping your kids with their goals for their children.
- Regarding teaching from a biblical worldview, Sharon says, “If you’re a Christian, that is the heart and soul of your home, of education, and of relationships. For me, it would be unnatural to teach any subject without connecting to God because God is in everything.”
- Zan and Sharon discuss the strength of BJU Press Homeschool curriculum and the way a biblical worldview is woven throughout every lesson, chapter, unit, grade, and overall through all of the objectives.
Mentioned in this episode
- BJU PRESS HOMESCHOOL
- Connect with one of the 200 HomeWorks by Precept consultants. These homeschool moms from across the U.S. and Canada have years of experience using BJU Press materials. They are available to answer questions, offer advice, and help you find the best resources from BJU Press Homeschool for your family.
- HOMEWORKS BY PRECEPT FACEBOOK PAGE
At BJU Press Homeschool, we’re committed to providing children an education from a biblical worldview that is academically sound and challenges them to advance, think critically, and live like Christ. This type of education is not often possible in public schools because of the number of children taught in a classroom, a difference in worldview, and peer and societal pressure to conform. Homeschooling allows parents to instruct and disciple their children without daily fighting messages from an opposing worldview taught in the classroom. And with tuition costs and fees for private schooling or tutoring, homeschooling may be the only option for parents who are concerned for their children’s physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.